Welcome, Welcome! Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy.

Look HERE I reviewed Poison Study By: Maria V. Snyder

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Lightning Thief By: Rick Riordan Book Review

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. 

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves. 
(Summary Thanks to Goodreads)


    Percy Jackson is a troubled twelve year old boy struggling to stay in a school. Percy can't seem to stay out of trouble he seems to keep finding himself in trouble. The last boarding school was Yancy Academy which was a school for kids who were troubled, but lets say that Yancy didn't last long. Things weren't horrible, but they did turn upside down when Percy in sixth grade went on a class field trip to Manhattans Metropolitan Museum of Art. The reason for the trip was that the student were learning about Greek and Roman Mythology. This is when the story begins! I was a bit hesitant to read a child's novel (I found this book in the Kids 9-12 section). This wasn't what I expected I was thinking that this book would be a breeze and very child like. It was anything but a breeze this book was like a tornado of fun. I really enjoyed this novel, a lot... I can't explain how much. So let me try. The book that started my addiction to reading was Harry Potter and when I saw The Lightning Thief on an end-cap of my favorite books store located right beside Harry Potter I had to check it out. If you have read Harry Potter then you know that is would be difficult to top the books creativity, but The Lightning Thief was pretty close. If I could compare it I would say Harry Potter mixed with the Greeks and Mythology minus the Wizardry. 


    I have to give Rick Riordan an applause for having a wonderful imagination, and thinking of totally unique characters and also book settings (example the Empire State Building). So now on to the Characters; Percy a boy who always thought he was being picked on by the world. He had a part of sympathy from me straight from the start you just wanted to scream at everyone for blaming him for everything. Grover, Percy best friend, Guardian and my Favorite character he may seem timid but don't let those feet fool you. He's tough like Goat's horns. Then you have Annabeth who is Percy's opposite and is suppose to be his sworn enemy are a great pair and couldn't be more alike (other then Annabeth has manners, and she respect her elders). Mr. Brunner who was like me and saw all that Percy had to offer, and showing Percy he could do it and be something great. Mr. Brunner was like a father figure. Now the villains while being bad and all, they were the most creative and unique, but classic Greek all at the same time. My favorite evil person had to be Medusa!!! She always was creepy (this is what I mean by classic Greek). 


    This book was a very unexpected bundle of joy! I have seen the movie and it doesn't compare to The Lightning Thief the book. The movie is awesome, but they change the storyline up a bit! So I was actually wishing I read the book before watching the movie, but it depends on your preference. I have to say you can already see in this book that Rick Riordan has a great imagination and a wonderful smooth writing skills. This book is action pack and always has you guessing. This book is not predictable. At least I wasn't able to predict what happened and I'm usually good at that. I would recommend this book to anyone reader who like Harry Potter, Teens, or Readers who like YA fiction, and also fans of Mythology. The cover I wasn't a big fan I actually prefer the movie based cover better, but it isn't horrible.


My Blurb for this Novel: "Greek Mythology with a teen twist. A fun filled page turner that will always have you guessing who the true villain is. A serious at the same time funny must read."


I would Personally Rate this Book:


55555

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Due to large amounts of spam, comments will now be monitored. Sorry for the inconvenience. Comments will be publish as soon as possible.

Linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails