Welcome, Welcome! Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy.

Look HERE I reviewed Poison Study By: Maria V. Snyder

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hearts at Stake By: Alyxandra Harvey

On Solange’s sixteenth birthday, she is going to wake up dead. As if that’s not bad enough, she also has to outwit her seven overprotective older brothers, avoid the politics involved with being the only daughter born to an ancient vampire dynasty, and elude Kieran Black—agent of an anti-vampire league who is searching for his father’s killer and is intent on staking Solange and her entire family. 

Luckily she has her own secret weapon—her human best friend Lucy—who is willing to defend Solange’s right to a normal life, whether she’s being smothered by her well-intentioned brothers or abducted by a power-hungry queen. Two unlikely alliances are formed in a race to save Solange’s eternal life—Lucy and Solange’s brother Nicholas, and Solange and Kieran Black—in a dual romance that is guaranteed to jump start any romance-lover’s heart.
    I was speechless at the end of this book. Alyxandra Harvey writing surprised me, I did not expect much when I first picked up this book from the library, but I was so mistaken. This book had a great start and then it just kept getting better I even wished at the end that this book was longer. The main characters were well developed and well thought out, one thing I disliked it was minor but the villains if you could call them that could have been better developed or at least let us know more about there motives. I adore the basic storyline, it's unique not many books like it (only one I can think of similar but yet so different is Chronicles Vladimir Tod By: Heather Brewer). I love books that are detailed, I don't mean over the top where your begging to stop I would like to be able to picture surrounds, characters, and find realistic aspects in books that are fiction could be minor, but helps. I think this book had a lot of semi good descriptions, but I would like to see more surrounding descriptions to help us picture where a person is not only what they are doing.


    This book is told in 2 Point of Views (POV), first being the main character Solange, and second being Lucy, Solange's best friend and partner in crime. These characters are awesome and love them especially Nicholas (who kind of has a Dimitri vibe to him from Vampire Academy). I have a crush on Nicholas who couldn't!! Some description in the book of parts in between Lucy and Nicholas that even give me butterflies. So anyways enough of my novel crush. Back to POV, it could have been better don't get me wrong the transitions were great, I dunno about others who read this novel, but I rushed Solange's POV so I can get on to Lucy's because it was tempting and mysterious and it had the making of a main character not Solange. This is the only bone I had to pick with the book was the whole POV between Lucy and Solange other then that I think the book could have been close to perfect in my rating. Ok   I know I'm a sketcher always back and forth between trains of thought but I wanted to break down the characters just to show you how it add the the book. 
First off we have:


Lucy (My Personal Fave) words to describe her are: Feisty, a good friend, trouble maker, not good at taking orders and or Instruction (rule breaker).


Solange words to describe her are: Center of attention (something she dislikes), just wants to break free, you are either on her side or your not, stuck with 10 million brothers (who would go crazy, I only have one who is older then me and he kills me)


Nicholas words to describe him are: Tough exterior but soft spot in there somewhere (so I don't spoil the book to you guys who haven't read it, for those of you who have all I say is Picture frame on the Night stand)


Solanges Father: Peace maker, he's not a fighter unless pushed to that (last resort), likes to solve problems with his words, and keeps his temper in stick situations opposite to his wife.


Solanges Mother: Feisty one (you would even think that she was Lucy's mother), the warrior in the family, always up for a good fight, if playing good cop bad cop she would be Bad Cop.  


Tell me that hasn't spiked your interest!! It's tempting right? 


    This book was a quick read, and hold you til the end and if your in to Vampires, and YA and a Romeo and Juliet love story this is definitely a book for you, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!! Now on to Blood Feud (Sequel) it come out in like 42 days its so far... 



I Would Personally Rate this book:  4

So did you guys read Hearts at Stake?? Let me know what you think I adore hearing from you guys!!


Anyways If you haven't already notice this book is one of my first giveaways in my 100 followers contest for more details head over HERE to find out whats up and up for grabs.


To enter this Contest Open International Fill Out the FORM <--- Here



Happy Reading Guys!


Kelly P

3 comments:

Hell Kat said...

Awesome review... I haven't read this one but it sounds great!

angie said...

Thanks for the giveaway! This book sounds great!

Brodie said...

Oooh great contest! I have seen this around quite a bit, but after reading your review you've convinced me I need to read it! It sounds great. Thanks :)

Post a Comment

I adore comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Due to large amounts of spam, comments will now be monitored. Sorry for the inconvenience. Comments will be publish as soon as possible.

Linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails